Thursday 20 June 2013

What's the plan?

Had my oncology appointment this week.  I have a lovely young oncologist who is super interested in treating lung cancer I am so glad I met him as he fills me with hope.

The headaches I am have been having are unusual however not unheard of. He thinks it's could be the ondansetron (anti sickness med they add to one of the infusions) so we are going to omit it next time. I am quite sensitive to some drugs piriton being one and now we know indomethacin is another! 

It won't leave me completely without anti emetic cover as I will still have emend. It's a bit trial an error. I'm also getting a brain scan at the same time as the next CT just to make sure there is nothing else lurking in there! I still have a headache although just mild now and paracetamol seems to now do the trick.

So what's the plan?.....I will have the scans after the next chemo to see if it is working. If it is and I can still tolerate it (that's my body as in blood counts etc) then we will continue with another 2 cycles. I am however having a break of an extra week or so after the second one which is good as I have another charity event - our 'Contemporary Craft Carnival' charity craft fair - to attend! I have put so much work into it I don't want to miss it :) I will then go onto the 'Alimta' maintenance for a bit or for as long as I stay stable.

If it's not working, we can try Afatinib, it's not licenced yet but I can get it via the accelerated access programme. It is known to work very well with people with the EGFR mutation like I have. There is also the option of a clinical trial with a vaccine that is also looking very promising. 

Then even better thing is If the chemo is working I still will have these other 2 options further down the line.

He also said that lung cancer in people with the gene mutations is a totally different disease. Most of the advances in treatment are with treating people with the genetic mutations so  from being in a very unlucky place I am one of the luckier ones. 

There is so much that needs to be done to help everyone with lung cancer and I won't stop anything I am doing until I am not longer able to. 

For the rest of this week I am making the most of feeling better, mostly knitting T cosy's and even venturing into town tomorrow with my sister for coffee and cake!







2 comments:

  1. What a lovely uplifting post Lyn.....the 'plan' sounds great; I am so looking forward to our day together tomorrow. Coffee and cake here we come!!! Love you. xxx

    ReplyDelete