Wednesday 26 June 2013

First day post second IV chemo....

Well what an eventful day yesterday! I certainly don't do things by half!

Paul took me to the hospital for 8.30, I was one of the first to be called through. Bloods all OK so chemo regimen started with the usual venflon insertion and flush. Then onto saline with potassium and then a litre of pre-hydration, the only difference was the ondasetron (anti emetic) was omitted (I did have the emend though which comes in tablet from) . Sue arrived with more goodies to add to the picnic and Paul went hope with John with orders to make one of his now 'famous' pizza's for tea. Well last time was ok apart from feeling tired and we had steak and chips!

All going swimming well at this point, Next infusion was the first chemo -pemetrexed- followed by another flush and more saline pre-hydration. Managed to do some crochet and we tucked into our picnic, tuna, sweetcorn, mayo roll and cheese and chutney roll, a twix and mini cadbury chocolate fingers, not all eaten at once may I had and not much different to what I had last time. One final cup of coffee before the cisplatin (can't taste if after I've had that for 2 weeks!) so I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It all went down hill from then on......I suddenly couldn't concentrate on any more crochet and started to feel a bit sick. They gave me an anti-sickness tablet (can't think want it was called not stemetil) We had already rung Paul and John to come back for 3 o'clock as we should have finished by then.

Sue being the nurse went and got some paper mache vomit bowls- just in case- Glad she did as then it started.........but .....didn't stop.

They were giving me re-hydration at this point, followed by something containing magnesium. After bringing up about a litre they called the doc who prescribed another anti-emetic - cyclizine- given IV. No more 'up chuck' for about an hour. Paul and John had arrived and we told Sue & John to go home, although Sue did want to stay, we did think after the cyclizine I would be OK.

Oh No, another litre and a bit came up.....doc called again and I was given IV metaclopramine plus more IV fluids as I had been sipping water but couldn't keep it down.

If this didn't work I would have been admitted. By 7pm I hadn't been sick for 40 minutes and I didn't feel that nauseous any more so I decided I would go home, with instructions to ring emergency number and would have to go to EAU. They did say what had happened was highly unusual as they never have anyone who is sick on the day of chemo! (told you I never do anything by halves!)  I was advised to stay nil by mouth until the morning as a precaution. I had had extra IV fluids though. (I did suck a couple of ice cubes!)

Got home was tired and had started to develop a headache, it was about 5/10 by then so acting quickly and had 2.5mgs of oramorph! It did the trick. Watched Wimbledon highlights, some shocks there eh? Caught up on Corrie and Emmerdale and fell asleep. Woke up at 10 Paul was also asleep woke him up to take me to bed lol. No more nausea at all!

Decided to further pre-empt things and have a diazepam. Fell asleep pretty much straight away and apart from needing the loo a couple of times (all that IV fluid) had a fab nights sleep! Woke up this morning not feeling too bad at all!  Sorted the washing out so Paul can take it to Andrea for ironing.Just had half a piece of toast, got my jug of water, a glass of movicol (to counter act the effects of the morphine) and a nice fruit smoothy to sip. And here I am writing by blog! I am not under any illusion it will stay like this and am sure at some point the fatigue will hit me but this is a far better start than last time, apart from the sickness yesterday :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment