Sunday 2 June 2013

IV Chemo - DAY 1

Yesterday I started the next step on this journey.... My IV chemo started. I want to write it all down so I can hopefully sit back and say it was all worth it.

It stated on time, There were 11 infusions altogether if you count the flushes, although most cam out of same bag. Only 2 chemo agents which went through with no problems, the Mannitol was painful though! 

To start with they flush you, rehydrate you and give anti sickness meds, the the first chemo - pemetrexed only takes 15 minutes to go through, I managed to do some crochet before this to make sure I didn't dislodge the needle with the wrist action lol, it was fine. 

From about midday I started to get tired, I thought it was lack of sleep from the last 2 nights initially but after reading the side effects leaflet from the -emend (anti sickness) I think it could be that as it came across like a wave.  I didn't really recover it just got worse, not a bad thing but with all that fluid going in and the Mannitol (diuretic) I kept needing the loo!

It was 16.30 by the time it was all finished, apart from feeling extremely tired not else seemed that bad. I had Steak and salad for tea and even managed a bar of chocolate. Indigestion is also another side effect so rather than my beloved orange juice to drink - as well as the water- we got some strawberry nesquick to make milk shakes. The tiredness did completely take over though and I went to bed about 8.30. I did exactly as I had been told and took a full litre of water to bed, It's difficult when you are so tired to keep drinking then have to keep dragging yourself out of bed to go to the loo!

This morning is another story! I feel like CRAP! Still extremely exhausted, not like me at all. I have the headache from hell, not sure what to take for it?? Not sure about paracetamol as it may mask infection, non steroidal's can cause indigestion and I'm already prone to that, feel nauseated - although not to bad, next anti sickness, emend,  isn't due until 9.45. I do have some 'extra' (Domperidone) just in case but will only take if absolutely necessary. Have had a small breakfast, cereals as had to have food with dexamethasone. Didn't taste it, in fact all taste had gone, had coffee, didn't taste it but need it's laxative effect, don't want to get constipated and that's another side effect of something. I can't imagine feeling like this for longer than a few days. I feel ill :(


1 comment:

  1. Chemo is crap but you are right - writing this down will remind you it was worth it. Have everything crossed for you. The first few days are the worst:(

    ReplyDelete