Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 4 - IV chemo

Finally remembered my password to log bag in and write lol.

This is now day 4 following the first IV chemo. Yesterday was probably the worst day so far, The worse you feel the less you can describe it. I couldn't do a thing yesterday although I did brush my hair for the first time and non came out! Think of your worst ever hangover and x it by about 50, then you may get the idea. Think of that lasting 4 days with no let up.Think of your head being in a vice and a 5/10 headache being bliss! Think also that this is NO guarantee. If I have- like they say a 4-6 out of 10 chance of this working, it also means that the odds are 4-6 out of 10 of it not working. 50%!!!

I also discovered that adding lemon to the jugs of water you have to drink helps it go down and yesterday I reckon I forced down over 3 litres! It didn't really help with the headache but I know I helps overall! 

This is one major learning curve that no one can prepare you for so I am going to share all the things I am finding out. You have to eat, but try to make it very little and hourly/2 hourly. 

Big portions ( and that's probably a very small portion in the ideal world) if very off putting, I have found a piece of toast with smooth peanut butter works well and I can enjoy the taste and it is quite settling on the tummy.. I have had a very small bowl of cereal when I get up with some nice cold milk as that seems to help with the indigestion, can't drink coffee ( just no taste for it, and yes I tried it) so I am having a hot water with lemon in it instead. Lunch has been home made veg soup, with as many veg possible to cram in, only very small bowl though at the mo. Trying to make sure I don't get constipated as that's a side effect of the drugs too, so far so good.

I've also  nibbled on a ginger biscuit and been eating fruit salad chopped right up with a drop of maple syrup on it. I've even been eating a couple of squares of chocolate!  If I don't lose weight on this diet there is something wrong lol. I did however - and I can't believe I did - try and bank a few 1lbs before hand eating big bars of chocolate just in case I really couldn't eat/keep anything down and find I had no 'energy' reserve!

I know there are many people out there going through this and I have to hold my hands up to each and everyone of them, you are all very very brave, If you want to LIVE you have no choice. I cannot understand anyone who would knowingly take their lives for granted and think that 'it won't happen to you' ......it might...... putting yourself at risk is too stupid for me to comprehend. I know there is an 'addiction' but for me my addiction to 'life' and those I love far out way's any other need I have. It's not only you, it's your family watching you have to go through it and feel helpless, I could do that to them if I had a choice.

1 comment:

  1. Lyn, this was always going to be one of the worst things to happen. I wish there was a magic wand to wave all of it away. If it helps at all everyone who knows you will be thinking the same and sending you love and support every step of the way. You are unique and very special and it is my privilege to call you my friend and inspiration. With love always, Joanna xx

    ReplyDelete