Sunday 2 June 2013

Tomorrow I start IV chemo

I have had another roller coaster week this week with mixed emotions.

Stopped taking Iressa a week ago so felt a bit strange having 'no' treatment for a week. Started folic acid tablets following the IM injection and today I started the dexamethasone. 8 mgs so far have been taken, I hope I sleep tonight!

On Thursday we went up to Liverpool as (If you are on Facebook are bound to already know ;) ) I had been nominated for the Roy castle Ambassadors award. And guess what......I WON!

I never win raffles, was useless at sports day so never won anything there or even things on E bay but this is the best  'win' I could ever hope to win. My lovely family were there too and I hope I made them all very proud. Apparently I gave a good speech too although I now cannot remember a word I said!

We stayed up in Liverpool for a few days and had a lovely time. Just today to recover and I had all good intentions of giving the house a 'spring clean' It never happened I was just too tired. I did make a very large Sunday Lunch and ate a family size bar of Cadbury's whole nut  as I'm told I will lose all sense of taste afer the IV starts so I wanted to really enjoy something :)

We have some sweets to take with us tomorrow and I will be making sandwiches as the nurse said the ones that have there are not that good..... yes....I am starting IV chemo tomorrow.

I know I need it as I'm coughing a lot more, having a few pain twinges and generally don't feel as good as I did. Going to write this more again now as I want to keep a good record of the things to come and try and write  a good account of what it is like and whether it is worth it. At the moment I feel everything is 'worth it' I don't want to die and still have so much to live for and so much I still want to do. Another holiday is one thing and to see the stats for surviving lung cancer increasing is another! I also want to see CRUK jumping on the band wagon and actively supporting Lung Cancer is another, that they will do when the stats 'on paper' show promise I'm sure. It won't be for another 5 years or so as we ate about 5 years behind but when it does remember you heard it here first!

I'm signing off now for tonight but I will hopefully be back tomorrow to tell you how my first day has gone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lyn. Good luck for tomorrow - I hope you come through it with renewed energy to carry on the fight to get lung cancer a higher profile. You have earned a lot more years of life x

    ReplyDelete