Monday 17 June 2013

Exactly 2 weeks

It has been exactly 14 days since they stuck that needle in my hand and I started this new part of the journey.

It has taken exactly that time for me to recover to something resembling 'normality' so today I am writing at a normal speed with more than 2 fingers so will there will probably be lots of errors but that means in some ways I feel back to my normal self :)

Yesterday was the 2nd 'Annual' sponsored walk for Lung Cancer that I have organised. The first one, 10th June 1012 was something I said I wanted to turn into a 'yearly' event (whether I was still here or not) Last year there were about 40 people taking part all wearing our 'yellow' Roy Castle T shirts. We raised around £1,400. 

This year, I wasn't quite sure what was going to happen. Because of what has been happening to me I hadn't been promoting it on the run up like I had then previous year - understandably so - but I was determined it was still going ahead. I had been collecting sponsors which mainly came from my old RAF pals who are based all over the place but with the social media we have we all are still in touch. There was also a lovely young lady; Laura Green that until yesterday I hadn't actually met although we had talked and became quite close on Facebook.

Laura is 23, her dad, Al was diagnosed with NSCLC stage 4 about 10 weeks ago. He too had never smoked. Laura saw a comment I gad written on the Roy Castle FB page and contacted me to ask some questions. I wanted to give her and her family some hope as I believe there is hope, I spoke to her dad on the phone and I think he felt reassured. Over the following weeks Al started his chemo and although he hasn't been 'officially' told if it is working or not, he symptoms are less and he is feeling much better. He has just 1 more session to go now.

Laura, wanted to do something to help others like her dad and me and asked me if I was doing the 'dream walk' I told her I had my own walk organised and as she was just 'up the road' in Wolverhampton, why didn't she come and join us on out walk over Cannock Chase. 

Well what can I say, she has thrown herself into organising her family and friends to all come and join in. When I turned up to Milford Common yesterday I cried. There were about 100 people, mine and Laura's family and friends all wearing 'Blue' (this years colour)  Lung cancer t shirts. Laura's dad Al was there with Dawn his wife and little sister Roberta, Laura's partner Tom and little daughter Gracie so I get to meet them all. Al even walked the whole 5 miles!

My daughter Tanya had baked some fabulous cup cakes with the Roy Castle logo on for everyone to offer a 'donation'  for after the walk to go into the charity pot. I have to say, she bakes the best cakes I have ever tasted!..... and she made £70 to add to the pot!

My dad who is 74 did the walk in my place as I still wasn't upto it. What an emotional day, all these people......I think our message is well and truly getting out there. To top it all at the present the total we have raised between us is £3735.13 and there is still sponsor money to come in!

So despite how hard the treatment is I cannot say it isn't worth it!


1 comment:

  1. You have done such great work, raising funds for Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation and raising awareness whilst dealing with all that has been thrown your way! You are truly inspirational and a great friend....I am lucky to have you for my sister. Love you loads. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete