Sunday 18 August 2013

How much work time and effort does it take to organise a charity event?

Just lately I have been feeling so frustrated, upset and damn right being trodden on from a great height!....

I'm doing my best 'for the greater' good so to speak and not for any selfish reasons what so ever! (Unless you can call giving me a bit of a purpose selfish?)

I don't think anyone knows exactly how much work, time, effort and 'love' for the want of a better word that I put into all of this.

Everything I have done  until the Craft fair has been to raise awareness and funds for Roy Castle, and every event has been successful in terms of what it set put to do. I didn't want people just parting with their money but wanted people to 'get something out of it to' and hopefully learn just how important supporting Roy Castle and lung cancer patients is.

for example: The luncheon, the 'Reyolds Revival' and even my home 'coffee shop' for the day were all 'win win'.

So it made sense then for me to look at a Charity Craft Fair! I thought that not only would it continue to raise awareness and funds for Roy Castle but it would also help local crafters who struggle to find somewhere lovely to showcase their 'makes' without it costing a fortune for the privilege before they have even started!  With help from some fellow crafters and friends the Contemporary Craft Carnival was born!

The amount of work that go's into it however is that of a full time job and then some! I wanted to learn from other organisers  mistakes and make this one that people flocked to be part of.  An event where we didn't forget anything and everyone who attended as a stall holder had a great chance of selling their makes and even got some orders before the event. That has happened.

What is frustrating/upsetting me is that I am not doing all this for 'me' I am doing it to help others. I am also doing this whilst suffering from advanced lung cancer with NO chance of a cure and whilst undergoing gruelling chemotherapy. So why is it then that some people can't even do me the courtesy of answering my emails and paying for their tables for the event when asked to?  Especially when I know they have read the messages.  I don't even mind a message to say why the delay is, but not 'I will pay on.....' and then nothing! I am trying to do this around my chemo, yes to make it a bit easier for me but I don' think that is too much to ask? I am having chemo every 3 weeks for the foreseeable so it is not going to end.

I haven't once let anyone down, If I say I am going to do something I will do it no matter how poorly and crap I am feeling.

I guess maybe people don't realise?? And although I am not one to ask or want sympathy (I certainly don't) and little consideration wouldn't go amiss. So if you didn't realise...you do now.

I would however like to say a BIG thank you to all those who have relied  to me and paid for their tables when they said they would and all those who have offered to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment